- This event has passed.
Cancelled > Begin Again: Mindfulness Practice Community for Parents of Kids with Special Needs
July 9 @ 10:30 am - 11:30 am
An event every month that begins at 10:30 am on day Second of the month, repeating until September 10, 2022
**The August 13 Begin Again is cancelled** due to lack of staff/volunteers to host the program. However, we encourage you to take a mindful walk on your own or with a friend. Here’s mindful walking practice (text & audio [starts at 2:05]) to guide you. Being mindful is about noticing what’s happening in the present moment. Don’t worry if your mind wanders, just draw it back to the sensations you are experiencing.
CEA’s Begin Again gatherings are for parents of kids with special needs who want to build or strengthen their mindful awareness in daily life. Mindfulness is a way to cope with stress and foster resilience and well-being. Our Begin Again participants have found practicing mindfulness in community with peer parents is powerful and supportive.
We meet every second Saturday at 10:30AM at Westwood Nature Center (8300 West Franklin Ave. St. Louis Park, MN 55426). We gather outdoors as the building and bathroom facilities aren’t open until 12:00PM. A shelter is available in case of rain.
Please contact Beth Dierker at email@example.com for questions and to be looped in to email communication about any weather-related changes.
What to Expect:
- In-person, casual gatherings of about 45 min to 1 hour.
- Loose structure: Check-in, short practice or reflection, check-out
- Group “host” role rotates. One participant each meeting prepares ahead of time and shares a practice or reflection that supports them
- Sitting or standing in a circle for conversation; walking or sitting mindfulness practices. Group meets for check-in in front of Westwood building and proceeds to quieter space for remainder of the time together.
Begin Again gatherings started as a source of ongoing support and community-building for alumni of CEA’s Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction for Parents of Kids with Special Needs courses. We relied heavily on our MBSR learning during the pandemic and “met” virtually for a time, followed by these in-person, outdoor gatherings. Gathering times and locations were chosen by group members and are flexible to adapt as the group evolves.
- MN United States + Google Map