The Oxygen Mask is back! Have you experienced a few curveballs in life when unexpected circumstances challenge you, forcing you to focus on one step at a time? This is often the time when routines or expectations that ground us slip away and we find ourselves more than maxed out. In Episode 8, which was recorded last fall, we reflect on curveballs that life has thrown our way and how we, fumblingly, do the best we can to respond and find our way through. Discussion points include:
- How have you helped your child make sense of situations like the death of a loved one or a big life change when you are struggling yourself?
- What are some of your signs that you’re at your maximum capacity (or beyond)?
- How can we respond when we react in ways we regret?
- What are our kids’ cues that they’re near or beyond capacity to manage uncertainty and stress too?
2) “Expected and unexpected”: Why do we Use the Expected-Unexpected Social Thinking Vocabulary?; Youtube Video on Activity for Expected vs Unexpected